Tuesday, November 15, 2022

 Over the past 23 years since retirement from GM, I can't begin to enumerate all the people I have helped with my God-given skills. My neighbors have come to me asking for advice many times (which relates to can you fix this). I have installed many home generator hookups, updated power panels, ran underground cables, changed sump pumps, installed water heaters, and more than I can recall. I have never once turned anyone down. I have never asked for compensation. Some people have given me money at times. I have always said no, but some have insisted. I have been doing maintenance, updating, installing, painting, and cleaning at church and parsonages for over 40 years. Most of the time I was by myself and a few times I had help. When something is running, water leaks, broken, or whatever I normally get called first. I have always dropped what I was doing and responded. Many times, when gone on vacation I will get a call on a problem for help with information on how to fix it, get it started, or something. This generally happened on Sunday morning. This past Sunday when we were having our annual thanksgiving dinner, one of the three phases of the electrical feed was dead due to a fuse link at the pole. This phase fed the distribution panel that the kitchen lights and some breakers were on. I discovered the fuse link on Friday and reported it to the power company. Supposedly, they dispatched a crew late in the evening. I kept checking online the status and sometime after I went to bed, they reported the power had been restored.... Fast forward to Sunday morning on our way to church at 8:30 the minister sent a group text to the leadership that the power was still out. When I arrived at the church, I checked the pole and the fuse link had not been replaced. In the meantime, I moved the kitchen lights to a hot phase in the panel. Later I was notified there was no water. Phase 1 also fed the distribution panel that the well pump was hooked to. Let me think...... I got my jumper cables from my SUV, opened the switch at the main feeder panel, and pulled the two 100-amp fuses. Then I attached one cable to each of the drop sides of the fuse blade socket. Then I attached the other end of the jumper cables to phases 2 and 3. The well pump started and the staff in the kitchen now had water. I had already called the power company. They showed up late afternoon and replaced the fuse link. I had planned to go back to the church and restore all my jury rigs, but we woke to no heat. I had Linda call me and report it to me so that I felt like I was needed. Our furnace is fairly new but out of warranty. I have a self-home warranty plan, so I troubleshoot it myself. It would light but a few seconds later it shut down. The red-light blinks 8 times. The chart says it is a low flame. I removed and cleaned the flame sensor with a piece of 220 sandpaper. All is well